Aug 11, 2009

The Parable of the Feathers

I TAKE IT BACK



Once upon a time a certain man went to the town monk. “Monk,” confesses he, “I have been slandering you to my neighbors. I am truly sorry for what I’ve said and how I’ve treated you. I take back all the bad I have said. How may I find penance?” The monk nods, then sagely proffers this instruction: “Go pluck 3 chickens. Stuff a bag with the feathers, then place one feather on every doorstep where you have slandered me. Return to me when you complete your task.”



Scurrying away, the villager meticulously complies. He returns to the monk the next day.
“Monk,” smiles he, “I have completed your instruction. What should I do now?” “Now?” “Now,” intones the monk, “go collect back every feather.” “But, but,” splutters the villager, “this task is impossible, it has been an entire night the wind has blown the feathers in all directions.” The monk nods in agreement, turns, and walks away.




The moral? Words are important. The Bible says that our words contain either life or death! Once words leaves your lips, you can’t take them back and you cannot control where they go from there. Wherever they go - they are bringing either life or death to a person or situation. When you accuse a person of something, or "spread a rumor", whether it's grounded in truth or not, everyone who hears your comment will form an opinion about that person based on your words. What if your words are wrong or biased and slanted or not complete? Another problem with rumors is that there is an assumption on the part of both the basher and the listener that the words being spoken are right. What if you are wrong?

The worth, character, integrity, value and veracity and the future of a person cannot be judged based on his or her mistakes or failings alone. Isn't that what Christ came to resolve? A person is the sum total of all his/her failings and triumphs and achievements, bad decisions and good, wise ones, etc. It is easy to try and destroy a person’s reputation, but much more difficult to help restore it. If they have done enough damage to themselves already - why hurt them further?


Just a thought...

By the way - I shared this parable years ago regarding the power of our words/rumors. It's been on my mind a lot lately - so I thought I'd share it. The Bible is very specific about us wounding one another...about things we say...about things we even think about...


This is really about how you treat each and every person in your life. If you know of someone in your life-circle that's down - at the very least - do them no more harm. Because, as hard as it may be to believe - each of us will be down at some time in our life...each and every one of us!



Peace.


Check out my new site - Journey

No comments: