Aug 27, 2011

News Channel 13 Rocks During Irene

So...

As we know, we, in the greater Tidewater area, have just endured a pretty tough few days because of Hurricane Irene. I hope all faired well.

But, what I want to talk about is the local news coverage of the storm. By local, I’m talking about channels 3, 10 & 13. I’m also talking about each person each channel had on air during such a difficult time...whether the news anchors...weather personnel...or those out in the storm.

More specifically, what I want to talk about is how they embellish the stories...make the stories more than the critical news we need in such a time...how they dramatize these things to it being some kind of “one upmanship” between channels.

For instance, when the wind is blowing 15 knots & the reporter is “struggling” to stand up because of how violent the storm has become. Or how, each time they are checked in on “the storm has gotten a lot worse than last time”...Or when the storm has obviously weakened, they hold on to the old story “because, as you know, this is a fluid situation”...

Well, I ended up becoming a fan of CHANNEL 13 big time...Why? Because, in my opinion, they gave you the news - straight up, the entire storm. No fluff...no drama...just the story - no more & no less.

I gave up on my previously favorite weather man - Don Slater Channel 10, because of the hype...and all the bull he kept shoveling out. Funny thing, before I decided to write this, I read on FB people saying exactly this. So, I bailed on him - for good.

As for channel 3 - same thing - fluff...so, though I never was a channel 3 fan - I am definitely not one now.

Channel 13 rocked it the entire time. Well, other than the 2 news anchors that were working the morning shift. It seemed pretty obvious, the guy thinks he's the cats meow & they seemed to struggle the whole time on air trying to look professional while not really liking each other...of course, that’s just my take on how they seemed to interact...if they like each other - they need to hug. But, even so, they still gave the information you needed...

Once we set it channel 13, after hesitantly giving up on channel 10 and barely needing to try channel 3, we never left them all storm long.

Thanks to the entire crew from 13 that made it that much easier to deal with the storm. You all rocked in great ways & it was appreciated from a few families that benefited greatly from all you offered.

With that said, I bid farewell to Don Slater & the rest of channel 10. It’s been good - but it’s time to go with the ones getting it done when it needs done most.

Just so ya know...I am writing (or wrote) this while the storm was still rocking...about 6:00 pm Saturday, with Jeff Lawson on the TV walking us through each hour ahead & EXACTLY what we could expect.

Thanks again.

Peace

b

No comments: