Oct 14, 2011

Is IT Biblical - A Greater Good...




In my last blog, I attempted to deal with the division that happens over our different values or beliefs.   My goal in throwing that out there is simply to get us to consider our agenda & the end product when we are trying to correct each other for wrong reasons.

So, let's go the other direction.  When is the question, "Is it Biblical", a better question.  IMO, it's best utilized when we are searching for our own truth.  IE when we are trying to live something out in our life & not that of another.

I hang out with me - a lot.  And I've found out that I have enough areas I'm trying to get right without having to try to get others to agree with some of my personal convictions (or lack there of).

Personally, I think the Biblical question is great - when it's asked on your own personal journey.

To be Biblical, to me, means to find what the Bible has to say about something & figure out it's intended meaning or application for my life.  Part of the problem, even for personal searches, is that the Bible is not always crystal clear on subjects.  Some things it just says straight out, while other subjects it's not as clear.  Then to make it even more difficult, it's completely silent on others.

So, being Biblical, is not always a black & white issue, even for personal inquisition.  It requires us to read what it says.  AND then I think it requires us to have an open mind/heart as to how it does or doesn't apply to our life.  If it's not in black & white, it's hard enough to figure out personally.  I'm not sure we can then take our belief on less than obvious areas & try to give it to someone else.

Another aspect of this whole deal, is that we are ALL in a journey...AND we are not all at the same spot on the journey.  Just because it's something you're dealing with, doesn't make it something I'm dealing with.  I may deal with it one day or I already may have...either way, I may not be where you are.  we seem to be very short-sighted with this at times.

I think the ambiguity the Bible has on some subjects & silence on others is precisely why, when Christ was asked what's the main rule...He answered like this...

"Love the Lord God with all your heart...soul...mind & strength."

Then He added a 2nd saying it was equally important as well.

"Love your neighbor (others) as you love yourself".


He said that all the others rules (600+ of them) rest on these 2.  If we get these right - being Biblical will come to each of us.

peace

b

No comments: