Oct 27, 2011

LABELS - They Come with Emotions Attached



So...

As I reflected more on this Labels thing...I realized that there's a little more that comes with the whole Label thing.  At least for me.

Not only do I label someone...I have a lot of emotions attached to those labels as well.  What I mean is, that when I think of, hear of, run across certain people's names (those I have labeled), I have emotions that take off pretty quickly.  If I hear about them in any fashion, I have a response within...typically anger or something close to it.  IE I get ticked almost immediately.

So, not only do I have these labels floating around within...that's bad enough.  I also have these emotions that run with them.  It's like they are traveling partners.  For me, it seems, the 2 are inseparable.

In coming to this realization, I now have even more incentive to work on this area in my life.  One of the main reasons to work on this personally, is that I am allowing people to live as they say "rent free in my head".  And thereby, these people, some of which I don't really like, are having a negative impact on my life.

Ironically, this has nothing to do with some unforgiveness or anything like that.  It seems much more subtle than that.  Like, labeling gets to hang out in your brain & heart, partly (or mostly) by feeling justified or right by the label used.  But, it's affect on your life (my life) is nothing but negative.  The subtlety of it, is that the label feels right...does this make any sense at all?  I feel right in the label I apply & in feeling justified, I totally ignore all the other pieces that come with it...like negative feelings...emotions...thoughts...etc.

So, not only is labeling someone wrong...the backdoor of labeling is how it negatively affects your life as well.

Again.  Just being honest.  Trying to keep going more & more free.

peace

b

No comments: