Feb 29, 2012

Quiet Desperation



"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them."
I used this quote this past weekend while speaking.  However, it's such a strong quote that I was unable to leave it on the page or in the auditorium once I was done "using it".
2 parts of this quote seem to have a longer shelf life for me right now.  The "lives of quiet desperation" and the "song still in them" pieces seem to still be running through my brain and heart.
Why?  I'm not sure.
But, if I were totally candid here, I'm sure they both are tied to a fear or concern of mine.  The fear of having not really lived life to the fullest.  The fear of not having the courage to go for it.  The fear of never letting the song out from being buried deep within...beneath layers of "stuff" that seem to allow the song to go unsung - seemingly without a lot of challenge at times.
So, I write this mainly to say that I don't want to be one of those people.  Those people who know how to smile when it's more perfunctory that anything else.  Those people who always say the right thing, when the real thing needs to be said instead.  Those people who in essence lie to those closest to them, when asked "how are things going"?  Those people who never take the chance...risk it...go for it...etc.
I hope that writing this not only encourages me in some endeavor...or in some song waiting to be sung or played...I hope it encourages every person that reads this as well.
To end with another quote.
Death has plucked my ear and said, "live, for I am surely coming".
peace...
b

No comments: