Jun 25, 2009

Lord Teach ME to Pray

There's something very real (deep & meaningful) about not having anything but God. That place where you learn what it is to call out to Him expecting (maybe hoping is more like it at first) Him to hear & reply.

I mean think about it - I can't see God...Touch Him...Feel Him (physically)...Smell Him...I have no tangible means of validating His reality. Everything we believe & practice about Him is by nothing but faith.

Yet, how often are our prayer & even our faith not very deep - simply because they/it doesn't have to be. If God does - fine & if He doesn't it'll be ok. That's about where we really live isn't it?

My point? Allow your relationship with HIM to adventure some. Allow yourself to believe for the ridiculous God sized things in life. Allow your self to pray for the really really really really hard things. Ask God to do things that only He can really do - not the things that we can possibly make happen w/out Him. Let your prayer life become a practicing conversation with your Heavenly Father.

When you get there - regardless of how you get there - you will learn (or relearn) to pray. I mean really pray. As in believing that you are talking to a God that can & will...

Prayer was what the Disciples saw as key to everything about Jesus.

So, when they had a chance to ask for something from Jesus - they went right to the heart of His relationship with his Heavenly Father - prayer. They asked Jesus to teach them to pray. They asked him to teach them to be able to talk to God like he does. So, He did.

Not only did He teach them - He talked about asking for the BIG things...About believing & receiving...About the role faith should play when we talk to Heavenly Father.

For me - it's paramount that I pray. I mean taking time to get away from it all & get physically on my knees & talk/cry out/weep/be silent/listen/repent/worship - MY Heavenly Father. Then as I get off my knees - I definitely feel connected to someone that I can't see or touch & yet become increasingly convinced of His reality & His participation in my life - the good & the bad.

Lord - teach me to pray!

2 comments:

lee said...

reminds me of a song i had to learn on piano in my childhood and play in front of church for "special" music.
1. Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray;
This is my heart-cry, day unto day.
I long to know Thy will and Thy way;
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray.
Refrain
Living in Thee, Lord, and Thou in me,
constant abiding, this is my plea;
Grant me Thy power, boundless and free,
Power with men and power with Thee.
2. Power in prayer, Lord, power in prayer!
Here 'mid earth's sin and sorrow and care,
Men lost and dying, souls in despair,
O give me power, power in prayer!
Refrain
3. My weakened will, Lord, thou canst renew;
My sinful nature Thou canst subdue.
Fill me just now with power anew,
Power to pray and power to do!
Refrain
4. Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray;
Thou art my pattern day unto day.
Thou art my surety, now and for aye;
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray.

Meghan said...

I was gonna learn how to pray in Virginia...Guess you can only learn so much in seven months...Maybe I'll give it another go