Jun 2, 2009

Inputs & Filters

I'm hearing voices...

How do you sift through all the stuff? All the inputs of life & believe in some truth that's greater than your opinion of things?

I mean, just with people in general (let alone - books...song lyrics...TV...Speakers (Spiritual or secular) how do you know? I'm not even speaking of the people you don't want to hear from (& yet sometimes do somehow). I'm speaking of just the ones you seek out & really do want to "know their thoughts".

Even they have their opinions...view points...ideas...what I thinks...etc...And each of them have heard from others/have their experiences/hurts/successes/sins...etc...And unless they have heard from God - they too are offering something less that truth - right?

I mean - trying to sift through it all & make sense of it - can get really crazy - really fast. Not to mention all the unwanted stuff that sneaks in somehow too...

I look around knowing my stuff is all public now. And because of that - I hear through that filter...I see through those eyes...I feel through that failure (sin)...And I really do have to rethink so much of what I thought I knew - about myself, others & even God...

To really be able to trust - when you can't trust yourself...WOW!

What is truth? How can you know you've found it? Even when you "hear from God" - you do so through your own filters - possibly with some bias toward what you were already thinking...

Is there a truth? I believe so - but I don't think it's always the first thing that comes to us - regardless of the source. Well, to clarify - I know God speaks truth - but even then we could hear what we wanted - not what we needed & call it God...

I have nothing to offer God & yet trust Him for it all in some crazy way again...I am reminded often that I am a sinner...And every now & then, I'm reminded that I am a sinner saved by grace...Praise God!

So, in trying to find truth & trust it - for me...my marriage...my family...and anything else - I put my greatest trust in HIS Word...Then I believe that as I humble myself before the Lord and as I allow Him to remake me again through:
prayer...meditation...silence...worship...brokeness...humility...service...etc... - that I will know HIS voice & that HIS truth will make me free...

Another Step...

3 comments:

onehstrybuff said...

To really be able to trust - when you can't trust yourself...now that's pretty profound isn't it. Bob, praying for your wonderful and understanding family......we love you big guy !

Unknown said...

When you can't trace His hand...trust His heart...I left the annonymous comment on your blog about the doves...from one of the many that is praying for your and your families clarity...know you guys are loved and that God who NEVER lies said in the pages of your and my Bible that His call is irrevocable....and He will be faithful to restore.

Monica said...

I'm writing to tell you and Shawn how much I love you, miss you and have been praying for you.
The verse that I randomly opened my Bible to on Monday, May 4th was II Kings 20:5. The middle of that verse jumped off the page at me. This is what the Lord says: "I have heard your prayers and seen your tears, I will heal you." I truly belive that and know that you are in my prayers.
Monica