Nov 15, 2011

Where's the Beef?




k...

well here's the deal.

I recently read a book "The China Study", that is all about nutrition.  It specifically addresses heart disease, cancer & diabetes & how they are possibly related to our diet.  The big aha of the book is, you need to quit eating meat & become a vegetarian.  The book's research is so solid & convincing that I am actually going to give this a try.

So, here's where I am on it so far.

I've tried to eat nothing but food that qualifies as vegetarian during the day.  IE breakfast, lunch & anything else prior to dinner.  I also am trying to make anything after dinner vegetarian as well.  So, that leaves dinner as the biggest obstacle so far as to making this change.

I wouldn't say I've been great at it - yet, but I have made it several days like this so far...starting about 10 days ago.

There are two real challenge for me so far.

1 - Milk is a huge no-no from the research in this book.  I love milk.  I love butter.  I love a big glass of milk with chocolate chip cookies made with real butter.  It's hard to think about no milk...no butter...no milk anything again.

2 - I love beef...even more so - I love a big fat rib eye steak.  Though I don't have them often, it's hard to think about not having another - ever.  Not to mention all the other meat items currently the focus of every meal we eat for dinner.  So, when the "meat substitutes" vegetarians eat, are the option - not one of them has ran through my mind & made me feel even close to a "yes, now you're talking".

So, I'm not sure how to make the full swing to vegetarian eating.  However, after reading this book & knowing that I have some really good reasons to try to figure this out, I'm going to really give this a try.

I have no idea to really know how to make this a full time lifestyle...but I'm gonna try.

So, don't shoot me down if in a few weeks I'm eating a big fat rib eye... or enjoying a tall glass of milk with some freshly made chocolate chip cookies...just know I'm a vegetarian in recovery at that point.

I'll keep ya posted...

b

No comments: