Sep 20, 2011

Beyond Maintenance

One of the challenges I run into in my Spiritual journey is...not "going to Christ" only in crisis mode.


















Meaning...

Having an ongoing prayer life - that is not always based on some crisis...or need.  If I'm not careful, I can allow most of my prayers to be "need based"...always asking for something.

Also, if I'm not paying attention, I read a devotional more than the Bible.  Partly because the devotional speaks to some area of "need" too.  Whereas, reading the Bible should be more of a discipline for learning not only in the bad times, but also simply learning the Word of God...by learning the Word, I also learn about Who he is...What he's like...How he acts or responds in given situations...etc.  If I spend time in the word - for me it seems more like it's because I really want to learn about Him.  Also, for me, I have to guard against going to the Word because Sunday's coming...and I better have something to say.

So, the place I am right now...is Learning to spend time in prayer - when all the stuff "I have to pray about" is over.  Learning to read the Word - because it's the primary means of getting to know more about God in my life.

Yup...

Taking this beyond crisis mode is a challenge...I am determined to press through & know what it means to KNOW Him more & more just because...

peace

b

1 comment:

Sherry Byrd said...

Guilty of the same!