Sep 9, 2011

I Think...What Church is to Me...

So...we have made quite a journey into my thoughts of late regarding the Church and how it has somehow become less important to Christ followers.

So...let's take a left turn today.

I want to share a few thoughts on what I think about church...

I think church should be an absolutely incredible place.  Full of life...energy...excitement...buzz...something in the air - something you sense...feel...know.

I think everything done in church, should be done with excellence.  Not perfection - that's impossible.  Excellence to me means - the very best you can do with what you have at any given moment.  This gets rid of comparison...it's all about doing your very best every time...

I think every time we meet - there is an Eternal Consequence to us being there.  You never know who's there & what someone is or isn't dealing with.

I think church should be a place to - laugh...cry...struggle...win...thrive...anything other than - dislike or hatred...anger...bitterness...gossip...backbiting...etc.  If church is just a place for plastic faces - or worse - that's not the church I want to be a part of.

I think a church full of ONLY Christ followers is lacking.  We should have lost people checking out our claims...those furthest from Him are the most exciting when they allow Christ into their lives & they should be with us on a regular basis.

I think church should be about love...grace...mercy...hope...and more.  When the church is a place of criticism, negativity or judgment by the people themselves (or leadership) - what the heck?  Amazingly, we can even use scripture for this...It's just not the Jesus I read about or know.  The ONLY people he judged were the religious...sinners - he had dinner with, so he could redeem their lives. See next point...

I think lost people matter to God & should matter to the church.  Therefore, they should be invited & feel welcome when they get there.  I think we should plan Sunday experiences with them in mind.  IMO - most Sunday experiences are planned for those already convinced...not too many really think about those that have yet to come to meet Christ...

I think the Word should be taught with incredible clarity...so we can apply it to our lives when we leave. When the Spirit moves in it - it not only reaches the Followers...it reaches the "not yet convinced".  The Word reaches into places we cannot see & converts lives in ways we never could...I think the word should be allowed to do its job...as well as allowing God to do his too.  When we go to "trying to fix" people - we have crossed lines we shouldn't cross.

I think there are a lot of areas we call sacred that are more about us than about God.  If it's scripture - we have no business messing with it...if it's not - it's opinion at best & like they say - we all have one.

I think church should be so valuable that we don't want to miss it - at all.  Not in some cult sort of way - rather in what we get from it & what we give to it...knowing both matter deeply.

I think the church is a beautiful place -when the people of God all work together to make it so.  I also think too many take it for granted.

I think most people see the church as a place to attend as opposed to a place to become.  Again - it's an Organism not an organization.

I think too much anonymity exists in the church.  Though we attend (some), we really don't have to answer to any of it & it's too easy to not be there.

I think people should say goodbye if they are leaving a church to go to another.  Not to be talked out of it, I just think it's good to say goodbye...thanks...so long...or something.  IMO - to just walk away is wrong.  Also, it lets the Pastor know you left in good spiritual health & he/she can separate you from those he/she is worried about or praying for...those he/she doesn't know what happened to them.

I think EVERY Christ follower should be in a church - period.  Not just attending - involved.  Anything less - to me - is short changing: the person, the Church & God.

I think we all should be actively figuring this out.  It's far more important than we know.

I love the church.  Not the stuff...the people & the God that shows up.  I love the stories of the lives there.  I love watching people struggle through to a new life.  I love knowing that no matter how messed up some people are - they are there...trying.

Truth - I love the people that are most honest about where they are in life.  Those that show up each week - trying to go free...trying to find life...trying to make it another day/week...I love those that know they are messed up & yet are getting up every Sunday to fight another day for an inch of "more God" in their life/home/marriage/world.  Give me a church full of real people that know they need God & I'll feel like I am right in my element...sharing grace with those that need it & those that I know will share it when they find it.

in love

b

ps - I reread this & know there is a bit of redundancy - but I left it like it is...its how it came out & therefore it's how I'll leave it.

No comments: