Sep 5, 2011

Optional Church

For the next few days...actually I'm not sure if it's 2, 3 or 5 or more days - but for the next few I'm going to write some thoughts that are just swimming around in my heart about "church"...These thoughts are not new - they have been around in my heart for a while - I'm just ready to see where the writings go...


I'm calling this 1st one "Optional Church" not because of what goes on within a church body - rather than because what goes on within those that attend.  Optional, more specifically because it seems more & more Christ followers are treating church attendance as being optional rather than a given part of their faith.  I'm not talking about people that have never been a part of a church or those that are new & trying to figure it all out.  I'm talking about people that used to really be part of a church...people that it was just known in their life - they go to church on Sunday...not because of religion - rather because of them seeing attendance as part of their faith.  People, that if you ask them, I think they still would for the most part, consider themselves as grounded in their faith...serious followers.  Yet, something is wrong somewhere...


So, church attendance has become less important to many people...why?  


How can we seriously expect to grow in our faith without being a REGULAR part of a church body?  Perhaps we have forgotten that the church is God's idea & not ours...perhaps we have forgotten that the church is the "group" God ordained to make a difference in our life &  in this world...I'm not sure of the answer or I'd go straight to that, but I am sure that many are "ok missing" weeks on end and are not bothered at all by missing and also apparently don't see it as affecting their faith journey.  It's like church has become optional to their faith...as if getting up on Sunday & going to a church is not worth it somehow...what?


Did you know that us not going to church is a sign mentioned in the Bible?  We want to talk about the possible signs of turmoil...storms...wars...etc...but here's another & it's found in Hebrews 10:24.  It says "let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."


So, if you are one of those Christ followers that has gotten to where going to church on any given Sunday is optional...what's up?  Is it you or is it something else?  Can we really afford to not go?  Has the church become so irrelevant to our faith - that it doesn't matter?  


Anyway - stick with me for the next several days & let's dig into this critical subject.


in love.


b

6 comments:

Debbie R said...

My toes are burning!!!
Thanks

Cristina Cottingham said...

I agree, I am looking forward to see were this goes....It sounds like a very interesting topic. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Well, you got me. I have been having living room church all summer with Genesis. I have been asking God was this Ok. He just gave me the answer this morning through you. Some how God knows he can all ways reach me through your teachings. Thanks Love Berta (trouble) P.S. See you soon

Anonymous said...

Some say there to busy and sunday is there only day off.Im so thankful that God NEVER takes a day off.

J.Hill said...

I've noticed that this is a pretty dangerous trend especially among my fellow 20-somethings... I'm always hearing people say, "I can just have church at my house." I just call it lazy. People aren't led by God to not hang out and worship with other Christ followers. People feel led by themselves to sleep in on Sundays and make an excuse to justify it in their faith.

Anyways, my argument for that is, what does it hurt to attend church? My faith has never been strained by making the decision to sacrifice a whole hour out of my week to attend a church service.

Oh, my favorite one is "I can't find a church that is relevant to me." Really? I would probably be generous if I said there are about 1,000 churches in this area, and you can't relate to a single one? I find that hard to buy. Again, I would chalk it up to laziness.

If I couldn't find a good place to take my wife out for a date, I wouldn't dump her, I would put in some effort and find a restaurant we like to go to and strengthen our relationship.
It's the same way with your relationship with God: if you're not willing to put in the effort to find any way you can to draw closer to Christ and surround yourself with God-stuff, then you're going to drop your faith like a bad habit when the life starts attacking you...

I just fail to see where attending church is a bad thing to someone that is already a believer. Interesting stuff. Looking forward to what else you have to say about it...

Anonymous said...

thoughts from Ronnie Boone...Again "God" in using you to stir me ...THANK YOU for this...moved to tears as I read...I have been struggling with this question for a long time...Its not that I dont want to be in church..In fact I do...But I find so many other "LIFE" issues has me pulled ...I have accepted "CHRIST"...I believe with all my heart...At one time the fire burned so strong all I wanted to be close to "GOD"... it consumed every part of me...but battles and life wore me down!!!some how I got burnt out..."Church" 5, 6 and 7 nights a week...and eventually I fell away.. I struggle so much with wanting to burn like that again..but honestly...I AM SCARED...and often wonder and ask myself..why cant "you" just worship and go back home...or worship at home...as long as you Worship..its ok!!!!"DO YOU REALLY NEED ALL THOSE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE AND BUSINESS AGAIN"!!!!....now I ponder the question????...IS IT????...Awesome Stuff Pastor Bobby.....