Sep 13, 2011

I Don't Need Church - I Connect with God in Other Ways

One of the reasons people have for not going to church is "they can connect with God in other ways".  What that means is, they connect with God in nature...reading...being alone...relaxing...the ocean...woods...etc...






Let me be the 1st to say - I totally agree that you can connect with God in ways other than the church.  I LOVE being either in the woods (especially at sunrise) or on the beach or ocean.  I love sunsets - to me each one paints a picture of His beauty.  I love the cosmos...its infinity.  I love thunder & lightning...I love birds - especially birds of prey.  So, I definitely connect with God in nature, in many ways.  Not only do I connect, I feel I deeply connect with God in nature.  I feel He speaks to me, or that I hear Him while in these settings...sometimes in really profound ways.  So, if you have an "other than church" connection - I'm right there with you 100%...I get it.



But that's not the issue.  The issue is, should you ALSO go to church... The question is would God create an "other than church connection" for you that is meant to replace you going to church... The crux of it is, since God created the church for very specific purposes, would He give you an out from that design?  They are all rhetorical questions.  I think the answer to each question is obvious.

The bigger picture is, why don't you want to go to church.  What's missing in the churches you've been to that you didn't connect with God in any real way...or, what's your REAL reason for NOT wanting to go to church.  I think the real deal is: for whatever reason(s) a person has decided they just don't want to go to church...it's too messy...nosey...to much drama...too many hypocrites...being made to go as a child...something.  But, really beneath the "I connect with God by..." is a real reason for not wanting to go.

I think the real conversation should be about - why don't you want to go to church...not where you feel you have your God connections...for any & each of them should augment not replace the church experience.

To sit in the woods with God is a spiritual thing.

To go to church - also should be spiritual AND more.

To sit in the woods - I feel something...I think a lot...I think about deeper things...not only because I connect with God, but also, because I slow down long enough to contemplate more.

To sit in church - I should also think about deeper things in life AND more.

To sit in the woods - I have a very private interpretation of God.  No one challenges or corrects my theology.  I can believe whatever I want.

To sit in church - I have both a personal (not private) & public interpretation of God.  I am challenged in my thinking & corrected in my theology from the Bible.  I am taught to believe what the Word actually says.

Bottom line - church is God's idea - still.  I know this, God has not given anyone an out from having church as part of their faith journey.  It actually would go against His design & intent.  He created the church as a place for Him & people to meet together...He hasn't changed His mind on that.  It's still His MAIN way of connecting with people on a regular basis.

I don't have a great "you better get in church" argument for this area (I wish I did)...other than - you have to deal with the real reason for not going...Obviously, there could be a multitude of answers to why you don't go to church.  Once you focus in on the real reason, you can then talk it out with someone.

So, be thankful that God speaks to you in ways outside the church...but realize it's not meant to replace church.

in love...

b

No comments: