Jan 25, 2012

I Quit Church...




I really did...

I was D.O.N.E. with it.  Actually, done would be the wrong word - "over it" would be a better one.

I had a huge "church value" in my life...so, I couldn't be done.

However, I was over it.

Over the people specifically.

I was angry.

I felt like the very thing I desperately believed in - failed me.

IMO, it really doesn't matter how we got there.  I say that because, to say "here's why Bob...", I think stinks of religious jargon.  To feel that we, as Christ Followers are ever justified in any circumstance to be part of the fail, is part of the churches problem anyway.  But, I might not be the right one for that opinion.  However, I represent a part of the church that is simply walking away from what we do every Sunday.

And, other people simply don't come to join with us - because we don't treat each other any differently than the world treats one another...maybe at times we are even worse.  Well, no maybes about it - we are definitely worse at times.

That's not why I'm writing though.

I'm writing to simply say, that I have been on the "I don't go to church" side of this thing in life.  Not only did I not go, Shawn & my kids didn't go either.  As a family, our home didn't go to church...for quite some time.

Ironically, it was during a time that we so needed to be in a church.

I'm not talking about the building...nor the habit of going...nothing like that.

I'm talking about our need to be with others that were trying to go in the same way with their faith.

Towards God.  Towards healing.  Towards freedom.  Towards love...life...more...

We did visit a church or 2...during this time.  Other than 1 church - we never felt compelled to go back to any of them.

What were we looking for?  What was it that we knew we didn't find?  What is that something, that "hits us" & we know "this is what I've been looking for?"

What are people looking for - that we need to have...

What are people looking for - that is seemingly missing in so many churches...

What are we supposed to be doing on a weekly basis when we gather together...

What makes it "worth getting up for"..."saying no to other things for"...etc.

Do me a great favor - hit like & comment below - let's keep digging.

You never know who might find some help from your words.

b

2 comments:

THood said...

I want to be in a place where i can help and be helped. I want to be in a place where screwed up people are welcome because in am screwed up. I want to be accepted just as there are people looking for just that. I love going to genesis because I know i can help someone and people can help me. Its were your accepted unconditionally..... No matter what you've done Or going through we are going to talk/pray/what ever it takes. To pray for those close and for those who cause trouble, to love everybody else as you love yourself. GENESiS to me is one big family. To learn how to grow closer to GOD. To share someone else's joy and pain. To be a light in someones darkness and help bring Hope. I love all of my brothers and sisters at genesis. With out someone caring for me who knows where I would be Or where my marrage would be. Thank God someone Was there for me.....

Jim Cottingham said...

One of the things I hold dear about GENESiS is...
I have never seen or heard of any back-biting drama.

What I experience here at GENESiS is a warm caring group of people that are here to be fed and are here for each other. I have been held up in GOD's presence through prayer, visitation, phone calls, emails, and surprised drop-ins when I least expected help or friends to show up.

Some times I feel like Bob is speaking just to me when he is deep into his message... the presence of every one else there is just a coincidence. :)

I have found a place that feels safe, yet pushes me to dig deeper into my personal relationships with my Heavenly Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

Relevant stuff. Not religious hype.

The WORD broken down to reach the people, not shrouded in religious pretenses.