Jul 30, 2011

Prayers...

So...

A few weeks ago, I was asked to do a "dual faith" wedding ceremony...Christian & Jewish were the two faiths being observed.  

I agreed to do the wedding, as long as I could meet with their Rabbi so I could learn about some of the elements I would be using/speaking/observing...etc...

First, let me say that meeting Rabbi Michael Panitz was an incredible blessing.  He is one of those people that the moment you meet him, you know you are meeting someone special with a great inner spirit.  So, if nothing else was gained, that would have been enough.

However, one of the "things" that really got me - was learning about the spoken prayers.  I'm talking about prayers that have long been a pillar of faith...prayers that have been spoken by countless millions of times in faith to God...prayers that are not based on feeling or emotion at the moment - but prayers that have some long honored list of patriarchs & matriarchs of faith behind them...

Anyway, the prayers have somehow deepened something within me...being almost imperceptible but there nonetheless "like some big bolder sitting there - strong...sure...steady...not moved by the storm" kind of way.

So, I have been searching different types of prayers & have been digging into them a little...I've read a few of them at different moments & capacities...

Here's one I'd like you to consider...

Your forgiveness is total, with nothing left to remind you of that moment when...
You take our confession offered with hands outstretched & gently, like the loving Heavenly Father that you are, put it to one side to be forgotten....no grudges, no judgement, no resentment or ill-will.

Not like us who find it easy to say sorry but so hard to forgive absolutely.

Forgive us, Father that we are often more willing to accept forgiveness than to forgive...more willing to accept your love than to share it with those that have hurt us.

Teach us to forgive as you forgive & to love as you love.

Amen

b

No comments: