Aug 30, 2011

You'll Make a Great Pianist One Day

I remember when Kyndall was young...real young.

She wanted to play piano.  I'm not sure she wanted to learn - she just wanted to play.  And I can remember me telling her that she'd be great at it too.  The only problem was - we didn't have a piano & she had no way of learning without one.  But, each time she'd tell me she wanted to play - I'd tell her she'd be good at it... And so it went for sometime...how long I'm not sure - but suffice it to say it went on for quite some time...as in months or more.

Then it happened.  I was reading a book about being a better father & investing in our kids lives, & I read this thing about going beyond just words & backing up what you say with actions.  It might sound like exaggeration, but as soon as I read that, I got up & took Kyndall to Circuit City to get a keyboard to learn to play piano on...we also got her into piano lessons.  Then for the next several years, she learned to both play & sing as well.  AND, at each recital - she was the girl that was playing the piano - partly because we invested in her dreams & desires.

The point of the book was this - when we say something & then not back it up with action, it leads to frustration in those we speak to.  It's the adult version of "talk is cheap"....When we say something & back it up with our actions, it leads to confidence.  It's the adult version of "money talks"...

It's not just a kid think either.  If you say something to another, kid or not, be ready to invest in it.  Or like in our kids, it just leads to frustration.  It also leads to the conclusion that we (the talkers) are not believable or that we don't really mean what we say.  If you back it up with action, it leads to nothing but good things.

So, if you tell someone you believe in them or that they might be a great piano player one day - be sure & invest in that with them...you never know - they might just really need someone to stand in their corner while they learn to play.

peace

b

No comments: