Aug 18, 2011

A Rant...

So...

We walk out on the beach...

It's sunshine...waves...umbrellas...kids...families...

It's me...Shawn...kids & friends...

It's beautiful...

We are all walking to the "perfect spot" for the day on the beach.

Life is good...

Then - for whatever reason I notice something else - that makes me somewhat angry.

It's not the tourist (of which I guess we are one too being that we are in another state)...it's not anything going on at that exact moment.

No - it's something that happened sometime before we got there & apparently happened many many times.

What is it that messes up this moment?

Cigarette butts...

They are all around in the sand...I mean the moment I saw 1 - I then saw plenty of them - all around.  Apparently unannounced to the world - the beach had become an ash tray for those that smoke.  Disgusting!

I'll go further since I'm on it & taking some vacation time to blow off some steam about it.

Why is it that smokers think their cigarette butts are not garbage for them to dispose of in some manner more like we all do with our garbage.  Seriously, gum chewers don't throw their wrapper out the window while sitting at a stop light or when they are done chewing their gum...When you eat a combo meal from some drive through - you don't just throw all the garbage out the window because you are done eating you?...I could go on - but my point is made - if to no one else other than to me.

Throwing cigarette butts out anywhere is garbage...doing it on a beautiful beach is somehow more disturbing than doing it on concrete or while going down the high way...

When I was growing up - they had these inventions called ash trays...they'd be full of cigarette butts too - because the people that smoked took the responsibility of disposing of them...

Come on - you're better than that.

Nuff said.

I feel better.

b

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Ugh- one of my biggest pet peeves!!!